Why did my files disappear from a burned CD?

Anonymous January 23, 2014

I burned the files from my old laptop to a disk, and since then I have viewed the files on said disk a few times. Now one day the disk suddenly appears as if it’s empty (the disk never left my disk drive since I first used it) – when I start the disk no auto run pops up and when I select it from documents, it appears to have nothing on it.

What could have happened? Are the files still there? What can I try?

1. justin kemp

Check for any broken file structure in your CD or virus infection. If file was available before then it is likely infected by virus/malware plugin. I suggest you to download some strong virus protection tool like Norton, Malwarebytes, Immunet Plus, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast, Avira etc in your system and perform an advance system scan. Do insert your CD before initializing scan process. Virus will be removed and quarantine. Hope this will solve the issue.

2. dragonmouth

Try another CD in your laptop.
    If you get automount then you know the CD with your files is bad.
    If you do not get automount and the CD shows as blank, it points to CD drive being bad.

try on another pc and see if the cd contain files, if yes then something is wrong with your laptop.

1) go to device manager
    2) locat cd driver, right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete)
    3) reboot and windows will install the driver
    4) check if you see the files