Why have all my files changed to to .lnk in Windows XP and how can I change it back?

Erin August 6, 2011

So apparently my virus scanner failed me again and something hitched a ride on a free media player I downloaded. After I removed the media player (which didn’t work anyway), all my files appear to be changed to .lnk. How can I change it back? Nothing will open now!

1. Mark

This is what I did after going round and round trying to find the answer to my .lnk problem
    (changing all my shortcut and programs extensions to .lnk)...

Note: I did this in Win XP

1. Start Menu
    2. My Computer
    3. Tools (menu)
    4. Folder Options
    5. File Types
    6. Click New Button
    7. File Extension Box = LNK
    8. Click Advanced Tab... In Associated File Type Box = Shortcut
    9. Click OK

What happen right-a-way all of my Icons changed back to normal and all my programs
    started working. I did a reboot and everything is still working.

I hope this helps.

• EZBOO11

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! WORKED JUST LIKE YOU SAID. GLAD TO TO KNOW THAT THERE IS GOOD INFO OUT THERE.

• jAXE

mark ..... u r gr8 man....
      thank u for helpin us.....
      :)

THIS REALLY WORXXXXXXX

2. Rick

I have windows xp. When I attach pdf files to my email to send they convert to .ink files no one can open. How do I fix this?

Nice, Tina!

Erin, were you able to confirm you actually removed the malware?

4. Erin

Thank you!   That worked great :)

Erin,

in your original subject line you wrote that all 'shortcuts' changed to lnk files. All shortcuts should carry the lnk file ype association.

From the body of your question, however, I understand that all your files were changed to .lnk files. Please confirm!

You may want to try the registry fixes on this page to fix all file types: Windows® XP File Association Fixes