Why can I not see files I burned to a CD and how can I recover them in Windows?

Chris July 1, 2011

I burned files to a blank CD, when I put the CD back in, it shows it’s full, but I can’t see any content. Please help me get my files back?

Chris, is it possible you just dragged and dropped the files onto the CD? If you don't aactually "finalize" or "burn" the files, they don't exist on the CD yet - windows just keeps them in a "to be burnt to cd" temporary directory, waiting for you to finsih your actions and tell it to go with what is has. 

You can test this by trying to add files to the CD again. If you truly have burnt the cd already, it wont let you add any. If you can still add files to it the way you originally did, you never burnt them in the first place. 

Here's a microsoft tutorial on the process, becuase it does seem kind of counter-intuitive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Demo-Burn-a-CD-or-DVD

Chris,

how did you burn this CD, i.e. what software did you use?
    What type of session did you burn, e.g. open or closed and data or audio CD?
    Where there any error messages and if yes, what did it say?
    What version of Windows are you using?

• Chris7murphy

Hi Tina... I burned it using Roxio... it's a data CD (open I believe). No error messages. I'm using Windows 7