What is the best file compression software for Mac?

David Hallengren August 23, 2011

I am trying to compress some files that are really seeming to take up a lot of space on my hard drive, but I can’t do without. Please note that I am using Lion.

1. David

Thanks, the DMG option works great!

Well what compression format do you want the files to be in the end or how usable should the compressed files/storage be?
    The default and most viable option is to right-click (ctrl + click) the file and chose compress "...filename..." which will create a plain ZIP file. However if you ever want to use the zipped files again you will have to double-click and therefor expand them again.

The second option would be to move all files you want to compress into a single folder. Then drag this folder onto the Disk Utility icon. A new window will popup which gives you some options to set. By default "compressed" is already selected so all you have to do is enter a name for the Image and select where you want to store it. The result is a compressed Disk Image file (DMG). The benefit of this option is that this DMG file is usable! You open it via double-click and will be able to view,edit,add or delete files.

Being a UNIX system you also have to option to create bzip/gz/tar/... files via Terminal or some third-party GUI.

For other options I suggest to take a look at the following link (not all programs listed there are able to create compressed files).
    http://osx.iusethis.com/search?q=compression