Why have all my file associations changed and how can I fix it if the registry fix doesn’t work?
Question by santhiya /

When I was trying to open a folder on my PC, I was unable to do that. So I chose different default program, but all my icons changed into the same default program which I had selected.

I tried to fix the regedit file, but my PC shows it has moved to some other location.

I am using Windows 7 Home Basic. Please help me!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

Hello, what kind of folder where you trying to open?  Was it a program or a file?  I guess what happened was when you opened the open with link and selected the default program your forgot to uncheck the always open the select file with this program.  You could probably try to reset back to explorer by doing the following: 

— right click on the folder you were using when this happened
    — click on open with
    — click on browse
    — navigate to C:/
    — scroll down until you see WINDOWS folder and click on it
    — scroll down until you find explorer.exe
    — click on ok and then ok

This should set the extension back to explorer.exe.  Now all you have to do is to make sure that when you want to open a folder/file that you do not want to open with explorer, or explorer can not open, select a program that can open it.

• Santhiya Nanthu

i was trying to open an image file.i deleted the file due to this problem.

Hello, what operating system are you using?  I think the default picture viewer in windows 7 is Windows Photo Viewer.  Do you have any other image file you can open?  Did that problem happened only with the one file you deleted?  You can open another picture and set it back to default.– go to folder where pictures are– right click on any image– select open with:– select Windows Photo viewerTry opening the picture by clicking on it and let us know what happens.  Now if all the extensions changed to that like .exe, .pdf, mp3, etc, you would have to change the file extension by going to the link Jeff gave you before.Also you could try changing by using the change default program option.  The following link will explain everything:http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/516001-how-change-default-programs-windows-7-a.html

try system restore, return to a point when problem did not exist.

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Santhiya,

To reset file associations on Windows 7, please visit this page and follow the directions listed there. Did it help?

– Jeff