How can I figure out whether a website was hijacked?

Shauli July 30, 2010

I frequent a website named sprintusers.com, which is a forum for all SprintNextel related stuff.

Today (7/30/) I got an online blackjack website when I tried visiting this site. It seems very fishy to me. I was wondering where I could go to figure out what’s going on or to verify a site’s authenticity. Thanks.

1. W00t1991

use AVG link checker it's a freeware and works with windows and most web browsers ( google it )

It looks like a pretty reputable website to me - but William may be right.

Also, when I try to log on to the forums, it says that the administrator has banned my IP address, so either they only want to target a specific country, or the site has been hacked.

3. William Brand

Here's what I was able to find:

The domain is owned by an Indian man and has been owned by him for years now. He appears to mass-purchase domains and then sells a service where he links to websites from those domains in order to boost your Google ranking. It might be possible this whole time SprintUsers was a fake forum set up to further linking out?

However, in searching Google seemed to have indexed a few threads from Sprintusers.com which mentioned being hijacked. I can't tell you how old they were or what they said.

Anyway, judging by the owner of the domain I wouldn't put much faith in it coming back.