How do I make Fences and Dextop work together?

Tyler August 8, 2012

I downloaded the desktop application Fences a while back to organize my Windows 7 desktop, and I loved it, but it wasn’t as organized as I wanted. I found out about Dextop, and I downloaded it, thinking I could use it with Fences to achieve the level of organization I was looking for. However, the plan fell apart fairly quickly.

When I deleted a Fence on one virtual desktop, it was deleted on all the others, and when I create a new one it is placed on the others as well. I disabled Fences, but I can’t stand how messy my desktop is without it. Also, any icons I delete or create on one desktop are deleted or created on the others as well. My desktop is more disorganized than ever.

Does any one know how to get Fences and Dextop to work together? And while we are on the subject, does anyone know how to get icons to stay on only one virtual desktop? I tried all the instructions on the website and the tech sites I visited, but not a single one worked.

1. Ryan Dube

Archyut hit the nail on the head - Dexpot is for organizing applications you have running in a session, but it doesn't give you an entirely different "desktop" literally. It's a clone of your main desktop, meaning all icons, etc will remain across all Dexpot Virtual Desktops. I think you might be wanting something more along the lines of running virtual machines - but I don't have quite enough experience with that yet to offer advice. Some other writers and readers here do though, hopefully they can pitch in some tips.

If the icons are created/deleted on all virtual desktops I would assume you didn't activate the option to have them separate within Dextop

according to their website: Settings > Switching Desktops > Desktop icons

As for Fences the following thread states that it does not support virtual desktops.
    http://forums.stardock.com/383398
    Fences you create on one desktop will be on all of them and also deleted from all of them. The same goes for icons WITHIN Fences (regardless of the setting I mentioned for Dextop)

3. achyut reddy

I use fences and love it. but i have also used dexpot and any permanent changes you make (for example arrangement of icons) will be changed on the other desktops as well. Dexpot is used for running applications. for example your working on stuff and you want to take a break. so instead of opening a new tab or browser you can switch desktops. and switch back once your done. Dexpot only saves running applications such as word, browsers, and such. I pretty sure you can't have fences or change wallpapers and have it different on different desktops..