Why will my Fedora17 installation not boot?

Chris Simmons August 18, 2012

I an installing Fedora17 on a dual 80 Gigabyte hard drive, Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB RAM computer.

I am installing from a disk that has worked for other people. I go through the process easily and when the loading has finished, a message comes up saying “Bootloader had loaded unsuccessfuly, your system may not boot.” It goes through the boot files and ends up at the “GRUB loading screen”. It is in a “grub rescue mode.”
There’s one error “error: unknown filesystem”

Any advice?

1. Danny Stieben

If you don't require a special setup, have Fedora manage the partitioning of your hard drive itself. That way, you're guaranteed that you're using the correct partition types for GRUB to work. Also, make sure that it's installing GRUB to the correct location, which is probably /dev/sda. If it's choosing /dev/sda1, it's trying to install GRUB to a partition, which isn't what you want.

2. Timothy Liem

It probably just failed to install the GRUB loader. try to re-install the GRUB.

See the instructions here. This is from the Ubuntu community pages, but it should also apply to your situation. There are links in the page for prep steps on other parts of the page you will need to take. Once you can boot into Fedora, make sure you do the Post Boot Follow Up at the bottom of the same document to make the changes permanent.