Which new feature would you like to see most on MakeUseOf Answers?

Tina February 1, 2011

Today MakeUseOf Answers celebrates its first anniversary.

This is the time to look forward to changes. We have been working on an upgrade to improve your experience with the site. There are several new features we would like to add, most importantly a user login, which would open up the possibility to have user profiles, keep track of questions and comments posted, follow the activities of other users, and we will hopefully have improved comment notifications.

If you could wish for new features, what would be the most important one? Which other features would you like to see?

1. test

This is a test.

Oh and I forgot to say maybe a user article suggestion system. I remember reading about you having something like that. I dont know how to as I'm sure others don't either.

I like the login idea. Make use of definatly needs a better search system.
    One thing I would like to see is more hardware informartion. Like more reveiws as you have been doing. I like that you also give away you reveiws. Maybe even a dedicated hardware section. My favorite thing so far about makeuseof is the software/website reveiws/suggestions. I've found some new usefull software/websites here.
    Most of all... Just continue the good work.

4. Theprateeksharma

I would love to see an ACTIVE Youtube channel for makeuseof.com
    A super-fast auto-complete search-box like quora.com would be just awesome.
    A Badge system like stackoverflow.com to rewards users for their activity may be a great feature too.
    In geeky fun section i want to see more videos
    Rest makeuseof is my first love

Thanks for the feedback! I was just asking for new feature suggestions for Answers, but you covered it all. :)

5. MilesC

Strangely, no one has done this for us fans of "eReading": many sites, now with Google Books, offer tons of FREE out-of-copyright books, but which ones are worth discovering out of these massive dumps?
    HELP!

Miles,

you best ask a new question. Maybe someone knows a site where eBooks are rated.

While I like several of your ideas, I'd like to add that the attraction of makeusof.com to me is twofold:

1. It is straight to the point, USEFUL information.
    2. It is SIMPLE

Don't complicate things. Stick with simple and useful and the site will continue to grow.

Are you referring to MakeUseOf Answers or MakeUseOf blog?

• Theprateeksharma

Another change i desperately want is an "Endless scrolling within frame on list of questions".But i would like to see it only on Makeuseof Answers only not on main site
        in order to maintain simplicity....

possible to add some marks in the front page like for urgent problems, serious problems, instant help...also add marks like solved, pending....

*Login, to keep track of things
    *A better "Ask Question". Eg, OS Type, Question type etc, and then point to already asked a similar questions
    *Screenshots

If storage isn't a problem a screenshot upload would be cool I guess.

Create a basic form to be filled out when posting a question. For example, when dealing with computer questions, the form could have a space to write if it is a laptop, netbook, desktop, etc. Another space to write operating system, and a space to write a brief, accurate description of what the problem, question is.

We have been thinking about this and dismissed it because we wanted to keep the form as simple as possible. However, we could make these fields optional. They would definitely help when answering a question!

Let's spin this idea a bit further:
        Maybe a checkbox for something like "gather computer information" and use a script to parse the User Agent similar to http://www.supportdetails.com and put everything into an collapsing DIV so everyone can view it on demand.

Simple yet convenient assuming the system it was done on is the one with "issue".

thanks for an excellent suggestion, we'll look into it.

11. Josh Fox

Maybe easier browsing through categories? Something like an advanced search where you can combine categories and tags to get closer to what you're looking for. Such as having the "Hardware" category with a "sound card" tag to find more appropriate threads.

That's an excellent suggestion.

12. Sonny Bass

Congratulations, keep up the good work! While there are no new features I have been wishing for, your ideas above sound great.