What is your favorite mobile utility app and why?

Drsunil V January 23, 2014

Which mobile utility app do you like the most and why?

1. Naeem

I found best the following mobile utility apps. PocketInvEditor Pro, My Alarm Clock, BlockLauncher Pro, Easy SWF player, Mobile Desktop for Kindle Fire

• Drsunil V

Please tell , do you imply kindle app or android app?

There are several answers that I can give (for Android), but that is just my personal opinion and may not apply to others, especially since I have rooted my phone, installed a custom recovery, and installed a custom ROM on my phone.

Titanium Backup is a must have for any rooted user. Being able to backup any and all applications and settings on the phone and being able to restore almost all of the apps and/or settings onto another device makes this one of the best applications. Also, being able to "freeze" or uninstall just about any application, including carrier installed applications that cannot otherwise be disabled or uninstalled, is a great feature.

Mobile Care (IOBit's Advanced System Care for mobile phones) is also a great app. It helps to maintain the health of the device, including removing junk files, virus/malware scanning, and some optimizations. There are plenty of other apps that can do the same or more/better, but if you want familiarity with their PC version, this is the app to get.

ZDBox has many different tools within it, including task manager, cache cleaner, data usage monitor, app mover, and much more. This is like the Glary Utilities for Android mobile platform, plus and/or minus a few things.

System Tuner Pro (for root users) allows users to control many settings of the device, from CPU speed, voltage, and governor settings, to SD card cache size, read/write "style" for lack of a better word, to memory mangement, and autorun management. This is for advanced users that want to tweak the hardware side of their device.

For even more advanced users with root access, STweaks offers much more fine tuning options. This app is like messing with the registry items in Windows computers, so care with changing any settings is a must, or else a hard reset or reinstall of the ROM would have to be performed.

TeamViewer is a must for me so I can remote access my home PC from anywhere through my phone. Although I can use different cloud apps and services, and I have lots of storage space on my phone (almost full and cannot hold anymore without the Android system telling me that I cannot install or update apps without making more space available), nothing beats being able to almost instantly pull things up and share what I already have on my home computer. Also, it works great for a remote on my netbook when I have it connected to my big screen tv (of course I can use a wirless keyboard and mouse, but that would cost more and be extra hardware to worry about and get in the way).

Fast Reboot is great for gaining lost memory, almost like restarting the phone without actually having to reboot. It restarts almost all background services and system apps to gain as much memory back to the device as possible. It usually works better than any task manager or task killer, but should only be used sparingly between full rebooting of the phone.

Twonky is great for being able to stream multimedia content from my device to another device, such as gaming system, so that I can share videos, pictures, or music.

UPnPlay works great at being able to detect media streaming devices within a Wi-Fi network so that the content can be streamed and viewed on the phone or device.

Wifi File Explorer (though ES File Explorer, Kies Air, and other apps can do similar) allows any device on the Wi-Fi network to view the contents of my phone, and transfer files to and from one another.

Lookout Mobile is a great security app that offers virus and malware scanning; device location; picture, text message, and contacts backup; remote SIM lock; remote device lock; remote device wipe; and even front camera picture taking when the wrong password is entered 5 times on the lockscreen, in which the picture would be sent to your email so that you can see who is trying to access your phone. There many other apps that can do similar, ├Čncluding XDA-Developer's Cerberus security app (which is a pay-for app, but is one of the highest recommended), but for free security and option to pay for the premium version if needed, Lookout Mobile works just fine.

There are several others, but may be region specific, or not as important to me as the aforementioned apps. Many of the apps I mentioned are for rooted devices or works best with root access, but I almost can't live without these apps. These let me squeeze as much performance and functionality as possible, and have more control of my devices.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Superb skills