Why is my FAT32 formatted Seagate hard drive not working with my Sony TV?
Question by Abby /

My Seagate HD, which is FAT32 formatted, works on my PS3, but not when I plug it into my Sony TV. It recognizes there is something there, but when I open the hard drive it doesn’t show files. I have 3 Sony TVs and they all do this, but it works through the USB on my LG. Can anyone help?

• Dlhume

Same problem here some file are recognised then I add more and can only find a few. It very odd

• Chem4545

Go SAMSUNG!!!  The TVs are set to play all codecs!  F converting!!

Hello, if it works on your LG tv and not on the Sony’s is because they have different file compatibilities.  Check the kind of files that play on your LG and the files that the sony plays.  For example, when you have a file with an .avi extension and plays on your ps3, it does not mean that it is going to play on your tv.  Whether you believe it or not, ps3 .avi and regular .avi have different encoding.  Even though the .avi is one format, most times if it plays on ps3, it will not play on a tv.

The following is a link showing the files/specs for a file to play in ps3:

I probably could provide you with links for your Sony TVs, but I do not know what models you have.  The same applies for your LG.  What kind of formats are you trying to play?  I would say you would have to convert the files using media converters for them to be played on your sony tv’s.  You would have to research your models and the files compatible with them to convert them.  Most times, when you open the storage device and it does not show any files, it means that if there are any files there, they are not compatible with system/tv.

It’s possible the TV will only recognize drives up to a certain size.
    Possible USB slot given by Sony is for flash drives only and not for external hard disks.

models of Sony TVs
    so you are pluging the hard drive directly to the TV?