Looking for a faster-booting OS than XP – is Ubuntu a good option?

Cycleguy156 February 1, 2010

I have a computer that I want to optimize for Internet access and looking for an alternative to XP that boots up in less than a minute. I don’t need any other resident apps to load locally – just network access and browser.

I am thinking of installing Ubuntu’s LINUX OS – any and all feedback is welcome.

1. Yenoy

Ubuntu 11.04 is slower on a netbook than XP or even Win 7. The Unity interface is like bloatware and is sloooooooowwwwwwwww. To bad as I love Ubuntu however, you need a fairly powerful system to run the new version.

• Alex

You don't have to use the Unity interface with the new Ubuntu 11.04. At login, you can switch to the classic GNOME if you don't want to use Unity. However, I installed 11.04 on my 6-year-old desktop, and Unity actually runs pretty well. The startup is definitely slower than 10.10, but still MUCH faster than Windows could ever get.

2. Artur Wrona

I would like to recommend Haiku-OS - open source build-up on BeOS technology. Will install in 15 minutes and boots up in seconds. It's POSIX compliant, so you will have power of linux command line packaged in swift GUI.

http://www.haiku-os.org/

Ubuntu is very good for old computers, but in a new computer, boots extremely fast. In my HP Pavilion p6209 Intel Duo 2.93Ghz, 4G RAM, with dual boot Win7 vs Ubuntu 9.10, Win7 (without antivirus) boots in 23sec and Ubuntu in 12sec. I guess that Win7 with antivirus should be much slower. I say nothing about switching off. Ubuntu needs 3 sec and with Win7 you can drink a full cup of coffee.

You might want to consider to use Google Chrome OS or JoliCloud as they are optimized for netbooks and internet access.

However, XP can be quite fast on boot. My Netbook running Windows XP boots in 20 seconds (just timed it then), and you want get much faster then that. It took longer for the computer to load in the BIOS stage then it did to load Windows.

Since you want it optimised for Internet Access, here are a few tricks that I have to make my laptop boot in 20 seconds.

1. Don't Shutdown, Hybernate
    2. Only load the essential programs that you NEED AND USE - nothing else. All a netbook needs is an Office Program, Web Broswer, AV Software and maybe MSN, and a few other applications that you regulary use.
    3. Don't go to untrusted wesbites
    4. Don't install and uninstall programs all the time
    5. Don't install thousands of Browser plugins

Follow those tips, and you will have a speedy netbook. I use it for uni all the time, and it is quicker to turn my laptop on then it is to get pen and paper out.

5. Girish

Before moving to linux you should understand what is good and what is bad about it. Every one says its great (i don't disagree) . But there are few issues which you may face during your initial days with linux , so you should be willing to have a learning mind.

Also moving to ubuntu doesn't give you a great boot speed but it gives may other features with out paying a dime. So it is very important to know whether you need a linux installation.

So have a look at this article @ http://dotgiri.com/2009/02/10/reason-linux-less-virus-gaming-music-player/

I have set up 3 different PCs that dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a lot faster on each PC. However, if I ever need Windows I can still re-boot into XP. You get the best of both worlds.

If your PC is quite old (e.g. Pentium 4 or less, <500MB RAM) then you could use Xubuntu which is a stripped down version of Ubuntu - but fine for browsing.

7. Dark Wrath

Ubuntu is THE best, but for your needs even the Google Chrome OS would be suitable as it is basically for Internet use only.

8. Jared

Ubuntu is my favorite os. It is just like Window's, only it works and doesn't make you feel stupid. Just be ready to find answers on your own or as a last result, pay for tech support from a third-party vendor. Good news is there are thousands of ubuntu help files and forum posts out there so any problem you might have, somebody else has probably faced already and found a way to fix it. Good luck, and welcome to the open source movement. May Bill Gates slowly burn for what he has done to us.

I would go with the latest version of Ubuntu. And yes it boots a lot faster then XP, in most cases.

IF you can get it working then Ubuntu is a viable option. I use a Bell USB stick modem (also known as an Aircard) and despite great assistance from the Ubuntu community I could not get online. I switched to Mepis, still had a problem connecting but their guru's got me online.

• jared

what is this Mepis you speak of?

Just another Linux system similar to Ubuntu but based on Debian

11. Greg Briggs

this might be exactly what you are looking for. Small footprint and no bloat

http://www.browserlinux.com/#Software