How fast can I realistically overclock my CPU?

Sledgend July 3, 2011

One of my PCs has a 2GHz Pentium M 760 processor that I can overclock in the BIOS menu by changing the ratio (default 133*1.5 = 2.0) between 100 and 400.

This means I could theoretically overclock it to 6GHz, but how fast can I set it in the real world?

There is no way to say it for sure. CPU's are not identical ~ they are produced on a waver and CPU's which were located further in the middle usually can be clocked higher then those on the outer rings.
    Also if you are using the stock cooler shipped with the CPU you shouldn't really attempt to overclock at all because it's not suited for this job.Then it also depends on the motherboard and the rest of the hardware. Your CPU uses a multiplier of 15 and 533MHz quad-pumped (=133Mhz FSB). If the multiplier is enabled you should be able to get fairly high assuming your CPU-Cooler is good enough. Changing the Front Side Bus from 133 to something higher not only effects the CPU but all other devices too. There is always the chance that some other hardware will be damaged before the CPU reached it's limit.Without any knowledge and excessive research I would say that something between 2,05 (137MHz) and 2,15GHz (140MHz) is reasonable. But again, this is all under the assumption that cooling is sufficient and the rest of the hardware doesn't get damaged.

For higher speeds you will have to use sufficient cooling (at least 120mm heat-pipe cooler) and I'm afraid you will also have to carefully make adjustments with the vcore voltage and memory devider. Both options are not present on all boards and a bit of science work. It's nothing you should attempt without doing your own research into overclocking.

If you really want to test it out I suggest to use increments of 2MHz and then stress-test the system for ~6hours while monitoring temperatures. This is the only half-safe way to do it...

the maximum supported speed by Intel. It's the speed they give up at which they give a 100% garantee that their cpu will work flawlessly

here is a study
    Intel Pentium-M 755 & 770 Dothan Overclocking **
    http://forums.legitreviews.com/about1525.html

Pin Modding and Overclocking a Pentium M Guide
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3226&article=pin+mod