How can I make Facebook RSS feeds work properly in Google Reader?

Antonio VS November 17, 2011

I wanted to stay organized and move all my favorite artists’ Facebooks’ news (the ones that appear on the main page) into Google Reader. I took the link of each of the official pages of those artists, and added it as normally on Google Reader…

But now, I have several questions you might help me with:

1. How long does it delay for a post to appear on RSS after being published? In my Facebook main page i have several news from my artists, but in Google Reader there are only a few

2. After adding some of Facebook’s feeds into Google Reader, I realized something odd: most of the news (which were actually published hours, days, or even months ago) appeared as if they had been published right in that moment… thus, if i added one of these feeds right now, they would show all the news of the feed as being published right at “10:21″… I guess this is not normal for a feed, and i wonder if this can cause trouble in the future (like no receiving new posts, etc…) I tried unsubscribing and subscribing again, but the same thing happened… is there a solution?

3. Is there a better way of receiving Facebook news at GR?? I’ve searched my favorite artists’ official pages, and, hell, they only have email, Facebook, or twitter feed… no RSS… i’ve read something about free web services that can turn email or twitter news into RSS Feeds, but before trying them out, i wanted to have the opinion of you guys… what do you recommend for receiving Facebook news in GR?

Well, hope you can help me out.
Thanks a lot!!

check out "if this then that", which should solve all your problems if you take the time to set up some good rules..

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/connect-automate-web-apps/

• AntonioVS

hey, thanks for the recommendation :) it seems like a great site, i will definitely use it, eventhough it doesn't work to solve my question, cause you can't manage the news from Fb pages that aren't yours :s

2. Smayonak

I have the exact same issue with RSS. For many websites there's a huge gap between when the news is created and when it arrives in your inbox. It would seem that there's some kind of process that executes on the host's servers that varies wildly in quality across websites.
    For example, the New York Times RSS feed refresh in Google Reader is outstanding. The news is delivered as it is made. My local NPR station on the other hand can take several hours before arriving and can be loaded with delivery problems.

Perhaps the best method of handling this issue would be to complain to Facebook? RSS Readers aren't exactly the most popular technology with news consumers - they're probably just not aware of the issue.

• AntonioVS

Ironically, i subbed to this question (my question) through RSS and i didn't receive any answer till today... guess RSS isn't the best way to stay updoted :| thanks for answering, thou

when i imported a fb page to reader, it shown all the older updates on 3 august, and  newer updates on a time which was not correctly applied to all the feeds.

feed will get updated, if you press the refresh button on google reader by opening a particular feed, then it will refresh, else it did not refresh automatically since 45 minute.

you can use different rss reader, you can use live bookmarks, so it will not require anything else, you can check it from your browser, and force refresh , and it is faster also.

twitter to rss is not possible now according to me, because i have tried it, my created rss feeds are dead now.

subscribe to sms it will be delivered to your mobile inbox, but it will receive updates with text only, if there is a link shared , it will not show it.

also noticed that, there was a post, in which i had shared a post of a another facebook page,

such updates of sharing another post are not included in rss list for some reason.

hope this helped, and tell me how can i help you more.

• AntonioVS

i guess i will try live bookmaks... and if that doesn't work for me, uhh, i will begin to use twitter directly :( thanks a lot!!

you are welcome.
        it will definitely work, as I have been using it, the biggest advantage is you don't need to open a page, you can check it on firefox,
         may be you already know how to use it, 

first make sure bookmarks toolbar is visible,
        you can display it from view menu > toolbars

when you think that the feeds are old, right click and click reload live bookmark.

to use many live bookmarks :
        rename and shrink their name so more live bookmarks can be seen without clicking >> in the end.

to use too many live bookmarks:

create folders for live bookmarks and shrink folder names also

like news, tech, fun, movies,music

by the way, what is the logic behind: if nothing works i will use twitter, what is the difference betwwen facebook and twitter to get the updates !?

• AntonioVS

that the news of the artists were so many, that i used to miss my friends updates... or sometimes i just wanted to check my friends updates, or things like that... so i moved them to RSS... and i didn't want to begin on twitter, because it seems a little too much for me, you know, all that of hashtaging, and trending topics, and living your life in front of a screen commenting the whole day long :s that's the impression i have of it, and i get to be pretty obssessive, so i was afraid of using Twitter

first, tell me your experience with live bookmarks.
          there is a solution to filter updates from friends and pages.
          facebook lists.
          (or google plus circles.i am sure all the artists will be on google plus also.)

you can create list to filter feeds according to your needs.there can be a list for artists.
          whenever you click it, all the updates will be on screen without friend updates.
          there can be a list for friends also.