Why is Facebook required to participate in MakeUseOf contests?

J. Pasgaard April 14, 2011

Since MakeUseOf probably does not seek a reputation as the biggest fraud after Bernie Madoff, why not mark your mailings to warn readers that Facebook accounts are required for contest participation, instead of making your readers jump through 6 or 8 steps before dropping this. Maybe you just think it is fun to make readers feel silly, like Lucy pulling away the football at the last moment.

1. joe

Only true sheeple saps are willing to expose themselves to the privacy stealing facebook that will follow them throughout their life like getting a tattoo of an old boyfriend or girlfriend.   

Interests change but the partners and owners of facebook hold on to  everything about you. You can change anything on FB but facebook still has it and owns it.  You've lost the right to your life and privacy just because you think it is trendy.    It should be illegal to require any internet user to have a facebook account in order to participate in anything.    

2. ænon1mus

Really? 6-8 steps? I counted just one click and some scrolling.

3. Saptashwa

Why not make it a geek thing (thought that they would be the most interested in such contests)? Ask them to submit an answer each to a common but no-so-easy tech question. The best answerer (chosen by a panel of voters - that is, the readers) gets the prize. That way, more knowledge will be shared as well as the deserving and not necessarily lucky candidate will get the "cake".

4. Coutcart

Another penalty for not following the herd. Facebook is someplace I would prefer NOT to be or have to join just to enter a contest.

I think that you have a great site here and is full of useful things. You have all done a good job. I just wish you would reconsider the facebook thing, I'm sure there are lots of us folks who actually think about being where we go on the web and to whom we make our information available.