How do I know which Facebook applications are safe to add?
Question by Nabaz /

How do I know whether or not an application is not safe for Facebook?

For example there is INVOLVER, the site has many applications for Facebook. How do I know whether these applications are safe to add to my Facebook?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Nezam Uddin

Hey Nabaz,

The best way according to me is how other fellow FB people rate it.Just beside an application you can see the stars(how its rated!).Obviously,those poorly rated are more ‘unsafe’ than those which are rated well.

Hope that would have helped.

• Steve Campbell

If you’re not sure about an app, there are a few things you can look at that should help you in determining whether or not to trust it. Look to see how many people are using the app and what overall rating it has. The more popular the app the better your chances are that there’s nothing shady about it. Make sure you read all the fine print, too, so you know exactly what you’re installing.

• Jack Cola

I think there is over 500000 different apps? The majority of them are safe, and if they’re not, Facebook should remove them quickly.

If your not sure, don’t install them.

I personally, do not install any apps, but somehow, they get passed.

Also, it’s a good idea to go to Applications Settings and remove any apps you no longer use.

Hi Nabaz,

With that many Facebook apps available out there, it’s difficult to point which ones are safe and which ones are not.

Everything depends on your definition of the word “safe”. Most apps require you to let them use/access (some of the data in) your profile before you can use it. If you think this is not safe, then don’t install them.

The rule of thumb is, the more people use it, the more “safe” the application should be. So, always choose the apps used by most people.

Hope this helps.

I second that, the more popular the app the safer it should be. That being said, some of the popular apps tend to get rather annoying after some point.