How can I extract media from an iPhone backup file for free?
Question by rimaz nazeer /

My iPhone 3g recently stopped working, and it was deemed unrepairable. I have the latest back up file on my PC running XP, and I want to extract all my media files from the backup i’ve made. I googled it and there seems to be no free ways to do this.

Any idea to do it for free?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Steve

I suggest phoneMiner by Amrak Software, also free to use with paid version…

• Victor

I have Windows 7 – 64 bit, latest version of itunes, ipad 2 v 6.0.1 and ipod 2nd generation v 4.2 . under the general tab, I have set a pass code for the “Restriction” section – where I can choose to turn in-apps purchase on or off. This password is the same code when I login into my ipad 2 and ipod. When I tried yesterday, entering the pass code it gave me an error message of”wrong password” try 60 min and the minutes got higher and higher. Is there a way to get into the disabling restriction without a pass code – even if it was set and restore the ipad 2 or ipod to factory settings. I have never changed the restriction pass code since I first set it and in order for me to remember, I set it the same as my login pass code so I would not forget it. | can login into my ipad 2 and ipod but I cannot do anything with the restrictions. Help Thanks

• Ciara

I think any free software is restricted to use many functions. You can have a try to download Wondershare Data Recovery for iTunes for free and then launch the program.

• Vera

Here are 3 steps to Export Backup Files from iPhone 5/4S to Computer with the tool of Wondershare Data Recovery for iTunes:

This program enables you to browse your iPhone backup and extract media from it…

The free version extract 50 files, such as contacts, photos and SMS.

• Ninger

For text messages extracting, I recommend you to use Backuptrans iPhone SMS Backup & Restore. works like a charm.

• James Knapp

you can access all your media files from an iTunes backup in the following directories:

# mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

#windows xp: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

#Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

(note in windows 7 and vista the directory “AppData” is a hidden system directory and will not be seen by default unless you change the setting in folder options in the control panel to show hidden directories, alternately you can access this directory by hitting start and entering in the search box %appdata% and hitting enter. you can then browse to the backup directory from there.)

once you reach this backup folder there will be a folder in there for each backup made in iTunes. “hard backups” (those made by telling iTunes to backup device) will have two dashes at the end of the folder name separating to sections of numbers. (i.e. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX) the first section is the identifier for the device. the second section is the date of the backup in the format (YYYYMMDD). the third is the time stamp (HHMMSS) in 24 hour format. if there is no date and time stamp at the end of the file then it is a iTunes sync backup. these will change each time you sync the device with iTunes. Inside each folder there will be several files each having a cryptic file name. Some of these are your media files (pictures, videos, ect.) use details view and open files with the appropriate viewer. i recommend macing a back up of the whole backup folder to your desktop first before doing this! so you don’t accidentally mess up your backup

• Shaiden Hutchman

I recommend a program called Sharepod. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Let me know if this helps you. =]

iphone backup extractor is free to use –

Just recover all of your data quickly and here’s the comparison link between free and paid versions –

How to use it –

• rimaz nazeer

Does only 2 at a time,i need to extract every single thing from the backup file.