Which external storage device works best for video editing in Adobe Premier Elements?

Will-Yammer March 1, 2010

I’m doing a smallish (5 minutes) video editing job using Adobe Premier Elements (it was free and I’m comfortable using it).
Which would help the program work faster (if any), a SDHC card, a thumb drive or an External HDD via USB?

1. Taty

I'd suggest you use an external drive connected via Firewire or usb2 at the very least. The SDHC card would work if it can be read as a drive by your computer. Avoid connecting via usb1. It's slow, doesn't communicate well with most programs and can cause a lot of headaches. If the file is small, why not just copy the data to your computer, edit it there and then move it to an external or thumb for safe keeping?

I would say it primarily depends on the read/write speed of your storage device. In general, an external USB 2.0 connected hard drive is the best choice.

USB 2.0 provides a data transfer rate of up to 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).
    SHDC cards can do up to 48 MBit/s (6 MB/s), which obviously is a lot less.
    Thumb drives read up to 180 Mbit/s (30 MB/s) and write up to 90 Mbit/s (MB/s).

You can test the read/write speed of your storage devices with this tool (Bart Stuff Test 5): http://www.nu2.nu/bst/