How can I use an external monitor with my laptop?

Mary November 25, 2011

I have a 22″ monitor attached to my 15″ laptop. I’d like to be able to view one document on my laptop and make entries on my Outlook calendar on the other. I tried changing the display to “Extend Monitor” but then I only get a picture on my laptop and my 22″ goes blank. How do I fix that?

When you say it "goes blank" - do you mean the display turns off, or goes into standby mode? Or do you mean it just displays a single color or something? If it's the latter, it may be working correctly, you just dont have a desktop image set for that particular desktop. try dragging a window onto it!

2. Tropics69

I use a program called Ultramon. There are probably others that Perform smartly. Essentially though I can have different wallpapers on both my laptop and xternal monitor through to different windows and programs. Works well for me.

Hello, what is the graphics card in your laptop?

My first guess would be that once you select to extend your monitor the external 22" is set to an incompatible resolution or refresh rate ("out of range").

Within the monitor setup menu click on the second monitor and try changing the resolution slider. Once set to a different resolution click Apply to see if it's working.

5. Mjevolve

hello . 

if i get , you mean to say you want to display 2 different screens on 2 different monitors at the same time ?
    as to my knowledge i dont think its possible to have 2 different displays from the same unit .

what you can try is , create Virtual desktops. each virtual desktop is unique with its own different settings and different number of apps and programs running . 
    and you can easily switch between the desktops .
    multi tasking in a whole different way .
    use this program -- Dexpot  http://www.dexpot.de/

from the developers -- 
    With Dexpot you may have separate virtual desktops for different applications. One desktop might feature applications for graphic design, for example, and another might feature your business applications.Switch between virtual desktops in order to keep track of your open windows.

( and i think you might be able to transfer a single desktop to your desired monitor also .)

try and see ...