Why did my external hard drive suddenly stop working with my TV?

Lil December 17, 2011

I have been using a western digital 1TB hd for over a year now. It worked fine on my PC and TV, now it only works on my PC. When I plug it into the TV it says “this file is invalid” whenever I try to play something.

1. Wildflower

This same problem has plagued me much of the time I've had my television - intermittently.....more often not.  It does the same thing with smaller USB flash drives.  Unable to sort out any rhyme or reason.  Formatted FAT32

are there any files other then media? maybe your hard drive has a malware hidden. 

Does it display the files on your drive ? is the problem with the files or the disk ?
    Formatting the drive can help if you made some change by mistake.

Hello, when you connect it to your computer, have you checked the properties of the drive?  What format does it show?  Can you read/access the contents in your PC?  Have you tried playing any of your files that played before?  If you have, have they played?

Also, have you tried using a different flashdrive with files in it and connect it to your TV? It is worth a shot to check if it is recognized and also to check if it can read the files. If it can, then there is something that changed in your external drive.

• Lillymarch74

I checked properties and scanned for errors. It worked fine on my pc, just stopped loading files on my tv.
      Miraculously it has started working again! Yay! Perhaps it was an issue with my tv, not the hard drive?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

;-)

Hello, I am glad your problem is sorted.  Have a very Merry Christmas too.

Thanks for the feedback, Lilly!