Why is my external hard drive recognized, but not shown under My Computer?

S V Swamy November 12, 2011

Seagate 3.5″ external hard disk is being recognized by the Windows PC as a USB Mass Storage Drive, but is not being shown as Drive G in My Computer. Properties shows location 0. How to correct the problem?

1. josley

i cant detect my hard disk in my computer as well as in disk management n bios.. aht should i do ? plz advice...

well hard disk can be dead

1)Ensure that the drive is plugged in and the cables are not backwards
      2)Reset COS battery, configure CMOS
      http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/System/How%20to%20build%20a%20PC6.shtml
      3)Go into your BIOS and ensure that Autodetect is set for the I/O port the drive is on, or use the IDE hard drive detection utility.
      4)Check if your SATA controller is enabled in BIOS, turning on and off SATA in the bios
      5)update your BIOS
      6)

2. Svswamy

When I followed the suggestion given by ha14, I found that the regular internal hard disk that is formatted as C: D: E: and F: is shown as Disk 0 and the External Disk is shown as Disk1. It does not show any identification letter etc. and the space is shown as unallocated. However, right now with the Windows XP that I have and with my limited skills, I am unable to find the right software for formatting or creating a partition that Fidelis has suggested. However, with this information, I am now reasonably confident that the disk can be retrieved by giving it to a service engineer. I was thinking that the Disk has gone kaput. I thank the friends who gave the valuable suggestions. Regards.

Thanks for your reply, if you are not able to fix it yourself, then as you are planning a service engineer will be suitable safe approach, best wishes and success.

If its unallocated problems, check here it may help you this article or general knowledge: Using Easus partition
      http://www.techishare.com/tech/easeus-partition-master-fix-usb-flash-drive/

Hello, create one partition on the drive by using disk management.  In the same box that pops up, make sure to give it a letter and choose NTFS.  You can also give it a name.  If after trying the suggestions it fails to show, you could try using the seagate tools to check your drive:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

4. Svswamy

Actually, the problem started after it got formatted by mistake - the loss of data itself is not a big problem (nothing really critical was there on it), but now the PC says the hard disk is working but the location is not coming up. Thanks for the suggestions - I will try them and get back to you. Regards.

5. Shezams

It may not be formatted - one helpful thing is to download the hard drive utility from whoever made the actual drive - these are free and can be a huge help.

6. Richard Carpenter

I would check under disk management in computer management to see if the drive is listed. It should be listed there

• Richard Carpenter

This is exactly what ha14 is getting at.

right click on Computer and choose manage

• PhilKaru

Thanks,....it worked so nicely and perfectly