External hard drive not recognized under G5 Power PC.

Big Louie February 1, 2010

I have a G5 Power PC. My external drive no longer appears on the desktop, it no longer appears in Disk Utilities. In the System Profiler, under Firewire, it does appear as “Unknown Device”.

This is not a storage drive, my hard drive was full, so I have all my apps that I use daily on this 750GB Maxtor Drive.

Please help me !!!!

1. 1TB External Hard Drives

My experience with my Traveler and the company has been horrific. Out of the box the unit began to crackle and pop and the company will not see the unit without charging me $100 desk fee. Incredibly bad tech/customer service support. Look elsewhere for a better interface.

2. ├Žnon1mus

It's very possible that the problem lies in the hardware. It could be the Firewire cable, hard disk enclosure or power supply. Try switching each parameter individually, use another Mac or remove the hard disk from the enclosure and plug it in directly to your G5 to see if it works.