Why is my external hard drive no longer visible in Windows Explorer?

Nguyen Huy Anh August 6, 2010

I have just bought a Samsung G2 external hard drive from eBay. It was good the first time I used it. But just now, when I plugged it in my computer, I can’t find the hard drive’s icon in Windows Explorer. What’s happening with my drive?

1. Check Device Manager and Disk Management to see if your computer actually sees that hard drive
    2. Make sure it's properly connected and the power is switched on.
    3. Try plugging it in when your computer is on, and try plugging it in when your computer is switched off
    4. Make sure the drive is properly formatted - Ie with NTFS file system

2. Nadiah

Ext. HD, I bet! You better say bye bye to them cuz they can really mean to frustrate you if such stories begin. I suggest you learn backing up online, you'll have huge peace of mind knowing that your data is securely encrypted online. My friend uses http://www.safecopybackup.com but he has never regretted. I also want to try their 5GB free trial unlimited storage on my mac and windows. Try it! Hope it helps you. Good luck.

3. Nguyen Huy Anh

Ah... I have tried your method. The drive turns out to be unallocated with any partitions. What should I do now?

To see in Windows Explorer and in order to be able to use it you should create a partition on it.

4. Saikat Basu

Try rescanning your drive. Go to Control Panel - Computer Management (Admin Tools) - Then click on Computer Management - Storage, and then click Disk Management. Finally from the menu, click Action - Rescan Disks.

It could also be simply a driver issue. See if reinstalling the driver helps.