What external hard drive should I got to use with my iMac and normal laptop to watch media content on my TV?

Nitin Vadgama January 1, 2012

I would like to get an external hard drive for my iMac and normal laptop. I would like to watch movies and photos and videos on my TV and store my information on the drive. What do you recommend? Any answers would help.

1. RC

Get the 2 TB Time Capsule by Apple.

2. Dmitriy Haralson

if your TV has network capabilities, i would strongly suggest getting a network hard drive... 1TB should do it

edit: if not, get it still, as you can always hook your laptop up to the TV

3. Akkadia2

Assuming the laptop is mac as well, I think most any external HD can be used...Seagate, iomega, WD, as long as it is formatted to Mac and if possible,  USB3 for rapid transfer.

preferable to not save other than media files on the hard drive that you would like to watch movies on TV from USB port.

Hello, when you say normal laptop, are you refering to a windows based laptop?  As long as the external harddrive is compatible with Mac, any would do as long as it is formatted with FAT32.  With FAT32 you can used it with windows, mac and your TV.

Obviously you should also make sure that it offers interfaces for all your devices.

Since you want to use it on your TV I would say that USB is a must have and any other connector optional.