Why is my external hard drive not detected when I connect it through an external USB hub?

Edward Polangcos April 10, 2012

I’ve tried connecting my external hard drive, which I previously thought wasn’t working anymore, to an external USB hub, and wasn’t detected. It only made this beeping noise. Then I connected the hard drive to the laptop directly, and it was detected. Am I right in thinking that when I connected it to the external USB hub, it wasn’t receiving enough power?

Is the hub a USB 2 model? If its just USB, external HDD may not work.

2. ebiarede peter

my lg external hard drive is not showing when the usb is plugged

3. Indronil Mondal

yes its a power supply problem happens to me you need separate adapter(that splits one usb to two ports one for connection another for power) for that just connect it directly  to the back usp panel

This would be my first guess too, yes.

Rule of thumb is:
    If your hard drive does not have an external power supply it will only work on USB hubs that do have an external power supply.
    If your hard drive does have an external power supply it should work on any USB hub.

As always with technology there are exceptions and other possible reasons. Some external hard drives simply don't like to communicate through a hub.