Why is my external hard disk beeping and not recognised?

9b206cb045fb66240e1ddb4ae3dcae4e October 5, 2012

When I plug my external HDD in I cant find it on my computer. Furthermore it is making a beeping noise, meaning it’s receiving power. What does this mean, what can I do?

1. Saina Nehwal

If it is spinning then check it in BIOS, else the hard drive has some mechanical damage so that it is making a noise.

http://www.recoveryfiles.org

2. Jack Schiff

it seems that your external hdd is not enough to received power.
    USB? try ahother cable or Y-cable.

3. Johns Paul

-Make sure that your IDE/SATA cable is connected properly.
    -How many other HDD's are connected?, if there's more than 2 then unplug one and plug in the one that makes the beeping noise.
    -Try connecting the HDD to another computer, if this doesn't work on any other computers then this item might be faulty or damaged.(Contact your retailer if your not sure)
    -In device manager check if the HDD is showing up with a yellow caution sign, if so update drivers

4. Dave Rimmer

Try your friends laptop to rule out the HDD check the Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager for any yellow signs.

5. Harish Jonnalagadda

Try connecting to a different USB hub and also check with another cable if that does not work.

6. Benjamin Trotter

Is your HDD connected directly into your computer or a HUB? Try a direct connection.

while the hard drive is plugged go to device manager and see if there is yellow sign, right click on it and choose uninstall, reboot and let windows to install a new driver.

try on another computer to see if it is recognized.

8. Vignesh C

check for the following it may sound funny but check this
    1. insert some pendrive on same port check whether same beeping sound
    2. have you tried to connect with other computers
    3. remove connectivity cable and check with older external hard disk if you have
    4. start your system with only external hard disk check whether the system boots
    5. can you provide bit version too since some of the device drivers wont get recognised(may be my guess you are using 64 bit)
    6.did you get message popup "device not properly recognised" while you connect to system
    7.open device manager and check for your hardisk name