Why is my External drive showing on my computer but is inaccessible?

Vijayakumar October 11, 2014

My Seagate Free Agent hard disk stopped working when I connected it to a Blu-ray disk and now it keeps showing i/o errors. It being detected and the drive is shown, but I cannot access the drive, or even run Chkdsk on it. I can safely remove it and but not access it.

Is there anyway to restore or access the hard disk?

vijay

By the sound of it, there is a problem with the data on the hard drive, rather than with the device itself. What I suggest below will wipe the contents of your hard drive! Continue only if that's acceptable to you.

Right-click on it in Windows Explorer ("My Computer") and format it. You should then do some testing (copy a substantial amount of data to it and copy it back) to ensure that it is working properly.

If you get an i/o errors after the reformat, the drive is probably on its way out (you can test it with suitable software, such as that listed at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-hd-health-monitoring-and-diagnostic-programs.htm).

If you can't reformat it, you could try to remove the existing partitions and recreate them. I don't know which version of windows you are using so will not go into the detailed instructions, but you can google "how to partition a hard disk in Windows " and you'll find plenty of articles on the subject.

go to device manager, locate Seagate Free Agent hard disk driver, rightclick on it and choose uninstall (do not delete the driver), reboot windows