Which Hard Drive To Buy For Full Backup?

msvoyeur February 20, 2010

Recently purchased the External Drive for a Sony VGN-NW 226F-B laptop because needed more space. Need suggestions on which hard drive to buy to backup everything on the system. I have never done this before.

What else do I need aside from the External Drive? DVD’s CD’s??

1. pceasies

You could buy a nice WD/Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm SATA drive for around $80 from Newegg, Tigerdirect, Microcenter and put it in a $20-40 USB/Firewire housing (Firewire if you're computer supports it since it will be faster).

That should provide plenty of space to do full disk backups every week for a couple months. Make sure you have your external hard drives with other data plugged in before doing backups so you can backup those too.

It depends on how much you want to backup. If you want to backup entire system and have files over say 250 GBs than I would recommend going with 500GB drive. It will feet everything as well as give you another 250 GBs.

There are plenty of backups programs that can automatically backups your system and keep the backup copy up to date. See What are good backup programs?