How can I export my Google Chrome search engines (the ones behind the address bar)?

Tilman July 7, 2011

If you use Google Chrome, you most likely appreciate the feature to add, manage and edit search engines. Well, I loved that feature so much, that I created a large number of customized keywords for myself – and I used them so much on my previous computer that I can’t live without them!

Well, now I have a new computer but Chrome’s sync feature does not sync the search engines!! :( How can I get them to my new computer? I do not want to retype them all manually (with individual keywords and URLs with “%s” in place of query) because this would be too much work. I was hoping that the browser’s sync feature would help but unfortunately it syncs only apps, autofill, bookmarks, extensions, passwords, preferences, and themes! :(

Does anybody have an idea? I’m sure there must be a way to do it automatically… In case you don’t know what I am talking about, the search engines can be found in chrome under options -> basics -> search -> manage search engines.

Thanks in advance for your help!