How can I export email from OS X Mail to Outlook and vice-versa?

Dayakar Raj April 17, 2012

I would like to export email from the Mac OS X Mail app to Outlook and the other way round. How do I do this?

1. jamxyz123

You can try OLM to PST Convert a third party tool.
    This software Features
    Provides user with the safe and reliable platform to convert all user mailbox data stored in OLM file
    Restores damaged or corrupted OLM file instantly and extracts data from it
    Make use of advanced functionality to display the preview of user data after extracting them from OLM file
    Facilitates user with exceptional option to stop the running process of generating items from recovered folder if required
    Provides user with an option to save the recovered folder items as HTML file
    Competent enough to perform the successful conversion of Outlook for Mac emails to MS Outlook
    For more information and free download here :

2. Allen Cohen

Outlook for MAC stores data in .olm format wher as Outlook for Windows store data in pst format. And there is no way to import olm file to Outlook for Windows. For this you have to convert your olm files into pst format with some tool and then import pst file into outlook. Searching google for olm to pst converter tool i got link to this tool Kernel for OLM to PST converter which says that using this tool you can convert olm file into pst file.

3. shawn taylor

i use outlook at work, and frequently need to move my mail to my mac, which is running mountain lion os x. i basically export any new emails from my PC using 8Convert (, then import it directly into Apple Mail.

i haven't had to move mail back the other way (from my mac back to outlook). let me know if you find a good solution for that....

4. Andrew

To import emails from Mac Mail to Outlook:
    You may extract emails from Mac Mail app using this free tool (for Windows):
    Or the free Email Extractor tool for Mac OS:
    After that you may use any other tool to import extracted emails to Outlook. Or just open them if your Outlook version is 2007 or 2010.

To export emails from Outlook to Mac Mail you may do the following:
    1. Use the Outlook Export Wizard from to save emails contacts and other Outlook items to files.
    2. Transfer extracted emails to Mac OS computer or connect to the folder containing EML files via network
    3. Run Mac Mail
    4. Select portion of EML files
    5. Drag them into desired Mac Mail folder.
    Your emails will be imported automatically.

5. Apple service

One of the most critical iPhone accessories will be a case
    or screen protector. The beauty of the iPhone is the crystal clear screen, but
    it will also be prone to scratches making your iPhone less attractive and make
    you unhappy every time you look at your now depreciated device.

The easiest option probably is to use an IMAP or Exchange service. If that's not possible Thunderbird is the best option as @ha14:disqus already suggested. 

Some detailed guides:

Outlook to Apple Mail (using Thunderbird) 

Apple Mail to Outlook (via emlx or Outlook Import Wizard) 

Apple Mail to Outlook (using EML to PST Converter)