Why is explorer.exe slow and crashing a lot in Windows XP SP3?

Angel Claudio April 5, 2012

I have an error and I have done almost anything for it. OK, I downloaded a bunch of stuff and I obviously need Windows Explorer.

One day I got a message saying that explorer.exe has just got an error or something like that. Sometimes Windows Explorer just closes unexpectedly without any error. Every time I right-click with my mouse, all the icons and taskbar disappear for a couple of seconds, then everything is back to normal. What do I do?

1. Angel

I fixed it thank you everyone it turns out that it was a shell corrupting explorer.exe but oh well I fixed it with
    shellxview

• Roberto

Hi Angel,

Could you please explain how you did it?

Thanks,
      Roberto

• Angel

Well I. Did a lot of research and found that it might be some kind of corrupted context menu and then I downloaded Nirsoft shellxview and I just started uncheking(or disabling)all of the stuff that shellxview had found and I figured out that disabling some stuff in there deletes stuff from the context menu( when you right click in windows explorer) and atleast my problem was that I used to do a bucnh of PSP hacking and one of the programs that I downloaded for the PSP one day I uninstalled it and it left the shell and that was the main problem atleast for me but maybe this is helpful to you

Hello, as a first step I would make sure to check your computer for malware/virus.  You could use malwarebytes, superantispyware and your antivirus of choice for that.  Do you have the XP installation disc?  If you do and your system is clean proceed with the following:

-- keep the XP installation disc handy
    -- make sure to log in with administrator account
    -- click on start
    -- run
    -- type cmd and press enter
    -- once command prompt open, type the following:

sfc /scannow

-- let the command scan your system.  If it finds any windows corrupted files, it will try to replace them.  Sometimes it asks for installation disc. 
    -- restart your system

• Angel D. Claudio Delgado

I tried scanning with Adware and it found nothing,i scanned with AVG Internet Security 2012 and found nothing,scanned with Avast! Free Antivirus and found nothing and finally its not technically an antivirus or malware/spyware program but i scanned with Advanced System Care PRO and found a couple of 48 malwares i think but that did not helped with my problem.And i do not have an installation disk.Please someone help.Additional info.Most used browsers in my pc Chrome and Maxthon antivirus and security programs AVG Internet Security and Advanced System Care.

Hello, did you try running the SFC command?  You can run it without installation disc.  Only reason I said you needed it was just in case the command asked you for an installation disc.

• Angel

Sorry for replying a long time i do not know what that is

Hello, the SFC command stands for system file checker. It compares the files in your system, with the original files. If it finds a file missing or corrupted, it replaces it. That is why, sometimes it is necessary to have the installation disk handy. To use SFC command try the following:

-- click on start
          -- click on run
          -- type cmd and press enter
          -- once command prompt opens, type the following command:

sfc /scannow

-- let the scan run
          -- check that explorer is working

Try it and let me know what happens.

Check Windows Event Viewer for some info
    To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewerhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

you can also try this
    1) Go to run and type: taskmgr
    2)Click on Processes in WIndows Task Manager Windows
    3)Scroll to explorer.exe, highlight it and click on End Process. Dont close task manager even all desktop background is black.
    4)Click on File then on New Task(Run) in the box type:explorer.exe and click OK.
    See if this will help as solution.

How To Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

• Angel D. Claudio Delgado

Sorry that did not helped.Can you tell me another suggestion