Getting Explorer Errors When Clicking on .avi Files

HeRmAN February 19, 2010

When I click on a file (or even somewhere in an Explorer window for a folder with .avi files) Winows/Explorer give several (six) error messages, they all looks the same I think (even for different folders). DivX or Xvid doesn’t matter

The Error box has 3 buttons, OK, Copy Text, Submit Report. If I press Submit Report there will be 2 more small boxes, the first one says “1” and the second “Report sending error!” (temporary disabling the F-secure firewall doesn’t make any difference).

The message starts with:

OS: Windows XP Professional, SP3
CPU: GenuineIntel, Intel Pentium 4, MMX @ 0 MHz

Application data:
VmVyc2lvbjogV2xGQlhVSlFWRlphUkU1RFJrTlZKQ2xTT3lRN1ZpQXN
BQWRWUHlFOEl6QnpaSHQrZHpNa0lqc2tJelpGY25SOWVHcC9SemM3Uj
…….

the text string approx 18000 characters long.

I haven’t seen this before the last Windows update which was made on 2010-02-10 ( KB978262, KB976881, KB971468, KB975560, KB975713, KB977165, KB977914, KB978037, KB978251)

I have also installed TVersity Media Server recently.

Also the error doesn’t happen every time I click but once it has started it will do so for some time. Later on it works normal again.

I have googled for similar problems but all I have found is related to right-clicking on a file and possible bad “open with…”

My specs are:

OS: WinXP Prof. SP3 Swedish
HW: HP Compaq dc7100, P4 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM

Moreover, when I try to log-off the current user, the explorer.exe crashes.

If I abort the log-off and the explorer is restarted the problem is gone until it appears again.

Does anyone have a clue?

1. FL

here's what fixed this issue for me:

http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-3125088-erreur-inconnue-quand-je-clique-sur-videos

Used google to translate to English..

I would suggest doing a System Restore. Off memory it is located in: Start -> Al Programs -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> System Restore.

The other thing you might be able to do is change the filetype to open by default in another program such as VLC Player or Winamp.

To do this, open My Documents, select Tools, Folder Options, Click the File Types Tab, in Registered File Types, find AVI (or just type AVI to find it quicker), click on Change, and browser for another program to use.

This may or may not fix the problem, but it is worth a try. You can download V Player VLC at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hard to say anything, the error message doesn't say much. My first action in such situation would be to try to revert the system to a state it was before the last Windows update (which in your case 2010-02-10).

If the problems was caused by update this should fix it.