Can you explain me in very simple terms how to set up my printer and WiFi in Ubuntu 10.4?

Ibeateacher February 10, 2011

I am new to Linux, but tired of Windows and Microsoft thievery. I downloaded Unbuntu 10.4 onto my laptop and I love it except for my inability to get the WiFi to work, and the printer to be recognized.

I have tried all the ‘help’ places for Ubuntu, but the language gets so complex, I can’t figure out how to do what I am told. Does anyone have a simple way of telling me how to set it up?

Hi Ibeateacher,

Did you check recommendations above? Wee you able to setup your Printer and WiFi? Let us know.

Aibek

What Wireless card (Vendor, Model) is in your laptop and what Printer are you using?

First I would try to look into the Hardware Driver Manager whether there are drivers ready to be installed:
    1. go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
    2. if there are drivers "not in use" try to enable them

If they were not installed that way you may be able to install them via the Restricted Driver Manager (System > Administration > Restricted Drivers Manager)

Before using it make sure that the repository for those drivers is enabled:
    1. go to System > Administration > Software Sources
    2. check the "Proprietary Drivers for Devices (Restricted)" box