How can I exit the command shell on reboot in Ubuntu 10.10?

JeffO December 5, 2010

I installed Linux Ubuntu 10.10, performed all updates and did some “root” work using a terminal window and the command “sudo nautilus”. I used Ctl-X to exit. When I reboot now, all I get is the command shell asking to log in. When I login, I am still in the command shell. How do I get back to the graphics?

1. Frownydaclown

The command "startx" (no quotes) will start a gui. If that doesn"t work, than try running
    "sudo apt-get install xorg" in the event that you uninstalled or damaged it while working. I hope this helps.

• helena

I love you! you saved my day, I'm sooooooooo happy to see my kubuntu working again. "startx" worked :) Greetings! helena

Helena,

thanks a ton for your feedback!

• Jack Yan

Thank you so much! All these folks were telling me to type exit (to no avail). Wish I came across you earlier!

Hi
    Disable the existing video driver

If you still have an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file remove that:

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.confand restart.

If that doesn't work, remove the previous nvidia driver:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
    The above command will remove the previous nvidia restricted driver. This should allow the system to start up with the nouveau drivers. Once yo are back at the desktop, you can then install the restricted nvidia drivers