Is there an Exchange server workaround for GMail that would allow me to check mail using POP3?

Brooks Lampe August 10, 2010

I have GMail and forward all of my other email accounts to it. At my new job, the company uses an Outlook Exchange server and no POP3, which is what GMail requires for the set up for a mail fetcher (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=21288).

Now, I have set up a rule for the this Exchange account to forward messages to my GMail, but the problem is that when I reply to these eMails in GMail, the sender is MYSELF from the Exchange address, forcing me to enter the original server’s address. This is unlike my other accounts with POP3, which is retains the original sender info and allows the email chain to continue smoothly.

Is there are work around? How can I set up a Mail Fetcher for GMail in the case of an Exchange or Outlook Server, even though GMail explicitly requires POP3?

1. Banjo Pants

First off, I really don't using outlook and ms exchange.  I'm a fan of gmail.

But what I want to say is be careful, one of the reasons companies like mine use exchange is so that they can remove your copies of email in case your phone gets stolen or you leave the company.  If you fetch and keep a copy for yourself elsewhere it might violate company policy.  I know it would for me :/

2. Greg Jackson

I had the same problem. Not the best solution but here's what I did:

Setup your Entourage to connect with Gmail using IMAP. This way everything you do in Entourage with Gmail with sync. Then set up a rule in Entourage so that every message that goes into your Exchange inbox gets moved into your Gmail inbox. Now incoming e-mail will show up in Gmail, with the correct reply to address.

There are a couple problems with this:

Entourage must be open for this to work
    There is a delay on getting e-mail (about 5 minutes at the most)

Other than that, this appears to be the best solution. Hope this helps.

Thank you for finding this thread and sharing your solution!

• Pat

Here is another option I asked for the pop3 settings so I could get the exchange server email on my phone (stated that I could not get exchange email) and the company provided me with the pop3 settings

Is this what you are after? http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=22370

To be able to "Send mail as" your work address from your personal Gmail account?

In Gmail, Go to Settings --> Account and Import --> Send Mail As

Just confirm everything and you can send mail as if you were at Work.

Is this what you are after?

4. Ryan Dube

I've actually had this same dilemma and couldn't find the workaround you're asking for, however Fuser does apparently have the ability to fetch your Exchange mail:

http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/fuser/

I'd think if you can get it into Fuser, there may be a way to migrate those with incoming Gmail emails and use Fuser to retrieve all of your email? I know - not quite as nice as checking all your mail with Gmail, which is what you're used to, but as it stands I don't know of any other way to get Exchange emails into Gmail. If anyone else has a more direct solution, I'll be very excited to see it!