Why does Excel save as read-only?

naziek November 22, 2014

Excel is suddenly saving files as read only for some bizarre reason that I haven’t figured out yet.

In the Tools -> General options menu, read-only isn’t selected as an option but for some reason it still is saving it this way, which is a problem.

How do I fix this?

I use the latest version of Windows and Office.

1. Susendeep.D

Try following the below suggestion of a superuser member -

AdamV -

"

....... When you open the file, if it is flagged as read only (attribute) Excel opens it in read only mode and that is fixed. Changing the attribute once it is already open makes no difference to Excel. Best bet would be to do a save as... give it a different file name, then close and swap the new file for the old one in explorer.

Other possibility is that this has nothing to do with attributes at all, and the document has been "marked as final". In the bottom left corner, where you see "ready" is there an icon next to it like a document with a rubber stamp being hit on it? If so, this is marked as final, as you will see when you hover on that icon. Go to Office button > Prepare > Unselect "Mark as final" Document will now be editable and saveable "

is it the same when running excel under administrator?
    try to disable your antimalware when saving?