Why is the Excel file I put on my flash drive read-only and how can I change it?

Gary December 31, 2011

I have a flash drive. I saved an Excel file on the flash drive and when I pulled it up to work on, it came up with read-only. What to do to change it? I never put a read-only permission on the file. What happened?

1. Achraf52

Hi, there is two possibilities check first on the circuit board of USB flash drive if there is a switch, check also if your file is read only by clicking with right and opening Properties then see if you could bring it again, if they fail you may have something wrong with your memory .

Hello, what you could try is the following:

-- navigate to where your file is saved
    -- right click on it
    -- select properties
    -- you can either:
     check and change permissions by clicking on Security Tab
     or
    uncheck the Read-only in general tab

Save a workbook as read-only or remove read-only status
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/save-a-workbook-as-read-only-or-remove-read-only-status-HP005201902.aspx

may be show preview pane is checked, drop the excel file into a folder, see if Show Preview Pane is activated its near get help question mark, if its activated then deactivate it.

• Anon

Copy the file to the local MAC hard drive to resolve this issue