How can I make Excel not drop the leading zero when I transfer data to a spreadsheet?

tom March 4, 2011

When I transfer data to an Excel spreadsheet it drops the leading zero of any numerical data. How can I fix this

1. carwash

I want to thank you for the efforts you have contributed in composing this article.

Tom,

did you solve the issue with the leading zero following the advice above? Please let us know what worked for you. Thank you!

One solution is to put a non-breaking space ( ) in the cell. This
    instructs Excel to treat the data as text. You can also use specific style
    attributes that Excel recognizes, such as mso-number-format. This example
    imposes a 5-digit mask on the numeric cell contents:

Select the cells you want to keep the leading zero's, Press CTRL 1, select the 'Number' tab, then select 'text'

You can highlight an entire column or row, then select Format / cells / text.Specifically, this tells Excel not to try to interpret the entered values but rather to leave them as text. It's also handy when entering something that could be interpreted as either a formula or a date.

Excel Dropping Leading Zeros
    HTML TRick
    http://successontheweb.blogspot.com/2007/09/excel-dropping-leading-zeros.html

Tom,

did you try to format the cells in your spreadsheet that you're transferring data to beforehand?

What version of Excel are you using?