Excel 2003: How To Make Links Auto Update on Open?

Chaz February 2, 2010

How to cause links to other spreadsheets to update automatically when a spreadsheet is opened.

I was in similar proposition some times. But every time I couldn't determine a problem. Moreover every time I was disappointed, because of I had the problem with my working excel files and boss told me off. But luckily for me several weeks ago I again came across with like problem and by accident use the Google and found out - recover Excel. It solved my trouble within the seconds and easy. I haven't been coming upon like problems since that moment. I hope this software will relieve you... It has a lot of capabilities and one of them would be solve your trouble.

They should update automatically as long as they can 'find' the other workbook they are updating from. For example, if you have a worksheet stored at F:ExcelStuff, as long as the worksheet stays there, and the link to it is correct then it should auto update when you open. To make sure it's doing this look for the Edit > Links > Startup Prompt setting. Change it if necessary to "Let users decide whether to display the alert or not". Also, windows has a limit of 255 characters so make sure that the path to the linked worksheets isn't over that limit. One more thing to consider, You can edit linking formulas to use UNC names, such as \myservermyshare, instead of drive letters. For example, you can change F:excelstuff to \serverexcelstuff and it will always find it as long as you're on the network and that server is online and you're granted access.