How exactly are text messages leaked?

Orb E February 4, 2014

In light of the Incognito news, it got me thinking, technically speaking, HOW all these texts got leaked to the media, without Incognito letting it happen.

I mean, was it a result of a subpoena? Even voluntarily, how would you export a year’s worth of your texts?

You would probably have to ask the person who leaked them?
    Options go from physical access to one of the devices involved in the communication, over online/cloud backups (like iCloud) with an insecure password all the way to an intentional leak for publicity, money, whatever.

I've no idea how they got leaked, but there are plenty of ways to get SMS texts in bulk. You can back up phones, you can use software on PCs or mobile devices to receive the texts and store them, heck, there are even services that will forward texts to email addresses!

If someone does know how they were leaked, I'd be as interested to hear as you are!