Why does an error appear when I try to view my call history on my BlackBerry 8220?

Celii Schaer May 8, 2012

On my BlackBerry 8220, when I try to see the calls I’ve made and recived it appears: ¬®Ungaught exeption: java.langNullPointerExeption¬®.

I’ve heard it happens when it has been wrongly installed, but when I got it, it was alright.

Thank You :)

1. Celii Schaer

It Worked perfectly :D
    Thank you Dalsan!!

• Dalsan

You are very welcome. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, but at least you know how to quickly fix it if it does happen. Take care!

2. Dalsan

Make sure you have the right drivers and the desktop manager software properly installed. http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/desktop_pc.jsp will take you to the software download, and the drivers for your phone should be included, so don't worry about that. Once installed, it should load automatically and open when you plug the phone in. I don't own or use Blackberry products, so I can't tell you for sure much more about it, but if it doesn't open when you plug your phone in, just find the program either in the start menu or look for it on the task bar near the clock at the bottom of your screen. Hope this works for you, but if not, I will try to find out more for you. Good luck!

• Celii Schaer

I'm already doing it :)
      And thanks so much!!!
      i'll tell you later what happens

• Dalsan

No problem. I would rather help others find a way that works well than to just say erase everything and start all over. Might take longer this way in some ways, but even backing everything up can leave you with some items not showing up like it should. I have backed up contacts in several apps and still find some contacts missing. Better to fix and keep going than starting over.

• Dalsan

By the way, this error cannot be prevented, just erased. It might happen once a month, or it could be just this once, you can never tell. If this works for you, at least you know how to fix it next time.

3. zeeshan khan

Back-Up your phone (Save your contacts to the sim and other things to your micro sd) and reset your phone.

Here's a video tutorial on how to reset your phone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmJe3_EbI0

• Celii Schaer

Thanks, but the contacts, and all that in the micro sd can be ereased doing it ??

• zeeshan khan

No. Unless you chose that you also want to erase the micro sd. But just incase, you should remove the sim and the micro sd when formatting the phone

• zeeshan khan

Any success on what Dalsan said?

4. Dalsan

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8200-series-discussion-pearl-flip/203755-8220-call-log-messed-up-error.html

Apparently using the desktop manager and clearing the call history log can cause it to work again. An erroneous logged number could be the cause. Hope this helps.

• Celii Schaer

Thanks, I'm clearing the history log, but there's one that dosen't erease... it says deleting, but it dosn't do anything else

• Dalsan

If this doesn't work, then might need to wipe the phone (factory reset). Taken from: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/82153-uncaught-exception-net-rim-device-api-system-objectgroupreadonlyexcep-tion-2.html

Originally Posted by grfxguy: I had this problem on a Curve 8900, and finally narrowed it down to when I had a missed or ignored call, and then went back and clicked on the phone log - that would trigger it.

After spending several hours with up to tier 2 support at T-Mobile, they finally switched me over to RIM support who provided this solution.

Because I had narrowed the problem down to a specific and repeatable sequence, the RIM support tech determined that my phone log database had gotten corrupted. Here are the steps he gave me to clear it:

1. Start BB Desktop & connect phone 2. Click backup & restore 3. Click Advanced 4. In the right window, scroll down to Phone call log & select 5. Click the clear button

No more uncaught exception errors.

• Celii Schaer

Thanks :) I'll try it this afternoon, and i'll tell you what happens...

Any success?

• Celii Schaer

noo.... I have to buy the cable... and i'm still trying to delete the history calls, but some won't erase

• Dalsan

I think once you are able to connect with the computer to use the Desktop Manager to delete the call history, then you should be good to go. Cheapest place to go for the cable is online, like Amazon, but you can be braver and try other online outlets, but safer to go with Amazon. This issue is widely known, but RIM did not care to fix it with any updates. It happens on several different handsets, not just the type you have. I think the only found way to correct the error, but won't stop it from happening again, is the desktop manager. Resetting the phone to factory default is a royal pain and should be last resort.

• Celii Schaer

Thanks! when i get the cable i'll tell you what happens, :D

• Celii Schaer

I have a problem, I connect the cellphone to the computer and nothing happens, what can I do??