Why am I seeing these error messages in Thunderbird?

Michael Dowling September 15, 2011

I asked this question 7 months ago on the Thunderbird forums, but haven’t gotten an answer or a reply to date. Here it is again, copy and pasted:

I have Windows 7 and Thunderbird 3.1.8. Lately, when I launch Thunderbird, I get a series of error messages in the top left corner of Thunderbird. I have saved them and am posting them for illustration purposes.

One thing jumps out immediately: the spelling of my first name is wrong in the files (Miohael instead of Michael). I put my misspelled name in a search and a reg file comes up. Would it help if I edited the reg file and corrected the misspelling of my name? Thunderbird works fine after I click “okay” for each warning message. Anybody know what is going on?

Thanks.

1. Michael Dowling

Thanks,everyone! I always have the latest build of TB,so that is not an issue.

2. Michael Dowling

3. Josh Fox

Michael, If you are using Thunderbird 3.1.8, it is not the current version. The current version is 6.0.2.
    Thunderbird only downloads security updates and patches from within.
    Newer versions have to be downloaded from the website and manually
    upgraded.

The error messages look like you were trying to restore your address book since it's looking on your desktop for the *.mab files. You could probably fix it using about:config by going to Tools > Options > Advanced > Config Editor. Do a search for ".mab" and it should come up with the problem entries. I've attached a screenshot of mine to show default settings. If this doesn't fix it, you might need to create a new profile for it by removing your existing. You can do this by opening your file manager and typing in "%AppData%Thunderbird" (without quotes) into the address bar and deleting everything in the folder. Make sure to backup your important stuff first. An alternative would be to simply rename the "Thunderbird" folder to something else indicating that it's the old one, like "Thunderbird_OLD" or something along those lines. Doing this will make you have to start from scratch with your address book, accounts, and any settings. Also, any extensions or themes will be gone. However, starting fresh will generally fix nearly any problems as long as the installation is good.

As for your name being misspelled, you might want to check your profile directory to make sure it's not misspelled there. If it is, it won't cause any harm to leave it, and the easiest way to fix that would be to create a new Windows profile. Renaming the folder will break a lot of different things.

I had a similar problem recently and found out that my Thundebird version was several updates behind. You have to update manually.

Aibek

4. Michael Dowling

I forgot to mention these error messages pop up in sequence,if that matters.

5. Michael Dowling

Sorry,guys,I didn't see how to post an attachment the other day.Find attached images of the error messages I have been seeing every time I open TB. I have been updating TB as they become available,and always have the latest version.I even reinstalled TB when this all started.It is not an emergency,as the program works fine after I delete the error messages.

6. Josh Fox

Updating to the latest version of Thunderbird may help with the error messages. You can get it from their website. http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

What files are showing your name as misspelled?

Please post the error message(s), we will worry about the misspelling of your name later.