Why do I get this error message when trying to use Terminal on my Mac?

U.N. Owen April 21, 2010

I’ve always owned Macs. However, for the past 10 years, I didn’t have one. I knew System 6-9 like the back of my hand. I’ve had OSX (Snow Leopard) since past September. I’m a pretty fast learner, but there are some things that I’m not used to yet.

One prob that’s driving me nuts is – I need to use Terminal. Every time I launch it, I get this message; ‘administrator has set your shell to an illegal value.’

Any ideas what I should do?

Danke.

1. zazen.info

In some cases, your account is deleted in sudoer File too, although you have admin rights. Then sudo wont work. Enable (temporary) root access:
    http://snowleopardtips.net/tips/enable-root-account-in-snow-leopard.html
    Login with su and try to edit the shells File again.

2. Johnathan TheTool Lane

The problem is that the OS maintains a list of valid shells in "/etc/shells":

Code:

# List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
    # Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
    # one of these shells.

/bin/bash
    /bin/csh
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/sh
    /bin/tcsh
    /bin/zsh

If you try to change your shell with the "chsh" command to a shell not on this list, it will simply refuse to do so. Brute force changing it with NetInfo will cause Terminal.app to break. If you change your shell back to "/bin/bash" in NetInfo, you can then use "sudo nano /etc/shells" to edit the list of valid shells, adding, for example, the the MacPorts version of BASH:

Code:

# one of these shells.

/bin/bash
    /opt/local/bin/bash
    /bin/csh
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/sh
    /bin/tcsh
    /bin/zsh

Once you have added whatever shells you want to the list, you can run "chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash" (or "chsh -s ") to switch shells, without breaking Terminal.app.

NOTE: IF YOUR SYSTEM HAS MULTIPLE USER ACCOUNTS AND ONLY ONE IS EFFECTED THEN THIS IS MOST LIKELY NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

If thats the case then it's probably not anything in /etc that's causing it, but more likely ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc, or some other hidden file in the User account.

TextWrangler, with its "Open Hidden file" menu item, is a great way to browse through hidden text files and modify them if necessary.

Good Luck

3. Urza

Check your /private/etc/shells file and make sure it contains the following:

/bin/bash
    /bin/csh
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/sh
    /bin/tcsh
    /bin/zsh