Why do I get an error message when trying to save a file from any program or browser in Windows 7?

travellinardie November 13, 2010

When I try to save a file from any program, I get the error message “the file name is not valid.” When trying to save images or files through the right-click menu of any browser, the error message is “there are no more files.”

System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.
Installed programs: Avira, WinPatrol, DropBox, Skype, WeatherMate, PostBox, Chrome, Launchy, all latest versions.

A search on Google revealed plenty of requests, no useful answers. For example the Microsoft Fixit Centre didn’t fix it.

1. travellinardie

I fixed my little problem of not being able to save any file. Lurking in my "running services" list was the Comodo System Cleaner - not mentioned as a running program. I uninstalled said program using Revo Uninstaller Pro, and no more problem. Thanks for a great site.
    travellinardie.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and glad to hear you fixed the issue yourself!