Why do I get an error code when trying to reinstall Mac OS X on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

85d5de8fb5b48d9c4e02efb267563ab7 August 13, 2012

Hi,

I’m new to Mac and I have been trying to do an erase and reinstall of Mac OS X on my  mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13″. I followed the instructions on Apple’s support website, however when I am trying to reinstall OS X after erasing the hard disk I received the error message “Could not find installation information for this machine. Contact Apple” with error code -4403f.

I turned off my MacBook and then turned it on again while holding the “Cmd” and “R” key. This time my Mac won’t even boot up and display the -4403f error code. I called Apple telephone support and they have no idea about the situation. They just told me that they will bring this up to the engineer team and I will just have to wait. It’s been a week and the engineer team still have yet to respond.

While waiting I tried to boot up the machine several times and there are a few times when it manages to boot into internet recovery – OS X utilities. However the “Could not find installation information for this machine” error messages still occur whenever I try to reinstall the OS. I am very disappointed with Apple, I followed their instructions and it led me to this problem. Not only that they couldn’t solve this problem and they are not responding to me. I called many times and they just told me that they will get the senior adviser (who attended to me when I first called) to call me but he never did.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

1. Psykles

Try this -

1. shut down

2. press the power button then immediately hold down the following keys:
    command+option+P+R

keep holding these 4 keys down until you hear a second chime
    This resets the PRAM.

3. When you're back at the desktop, restart/re-install.

2. Mulder

If there's an Apple Store near you, I'd call them and briefly describe the problem (your recovery partition was erased) and ask them if they will reinstall Lion for you. If they say 'Yes', then ask them if they will do it free of charge, since it's not something you did (erase the recovery partition).

Their answer should be 'Yes' to both questions; if it's not, ask them how much it would cost and write it down. Then call the next AASP and do the same thing, noting the amount each one of them would charge you, if anything. Then take it to the nearest one or lowest-cost one for that service, depending on how far you want to travel for that.

Failing that, ask a friend who also uses a Mac to download the installer for you, then burn it to a DVD. Then you can take that and use it to install on your Mac.

I don't really have a solution for the internet recovery problem but since it's a 2012 model it should still covered by the 1 year warranty so I would simply go to the next Apple partner/shop/service, explain the problem and have them reinstall Mac OS X.

• Lim

Thanks Mike.

Apparently apple one year limited warranty does not cover software support. So if I want the service provider to reinstall the os x for me I will have to pay them 150 bucks. 150 bucks just to install the os is ridiculous. Another method is to purchase the apple care protection plan from apple because apple care will cover the software support also. After what I have experience from them they actually expect me to spend another few hundred bucks on their shitty service. I am wondering if I can download the mountain lion from torrent and create a bootable disc and install from it. However I can only do this from a window pc as I do not have access to other macbook. Anyone know how to do it?

If you've windows PC/Laptop,then you can download the Mountain Lion ISO from it.Or else,if comfortable,install Windows OS in your MacBook and download Lion in it.

You can also boot from USB drive in which it can have any Linux Distribution(like Linux Mint) and the download Lion using transmission software(Torrent client) that most of the distros have.

That is indeed ridiculous but sadly true ~ I guess the Apple partners in my area are a bit more cooperative. And even non-issue related re-installations are not that expensive over here.

If you can find a vanilla Mac OS X 10.7 of course you can do this. Files on the internet are usually ISO so you can burn it regardless of the operating system. Just make sure it is a clean 10.7 version and not a OSx86 for hackintosh.

One could also try to find one of the Apple OSX Lion Thumb drives but they are rarely available if at all. They are a little bit expensive but therefor you don't have to download OSX in the future during a reinstallation.
        http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/16/apple-releases-69-os-x-lion-thumb-drive-ships-in-1-3-business-days/

4. Lim

Thanks Burhan Ahmed.

I do not have a Lion DVD. Apple told me to go to their authorise service provider and they told me that I have to pay 150 dollar for them to reinstall my os x. WOW. This is unbelievable. I only just bought it for less than 2 months and it is their instruction that led me to this problem. I am so disappointed with apple.

Did you explain to them that Internet Recovery isn't working and Apple doesn't have another solution and asked to go to them?

If you did I would simply report them to Apple that they refused to offer service within the 1 year warranty.

Fortunately the 1 year warranty is valid for all Apple Authorized Service Providers so I would simply look for a different (more cooperating) one.
      http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1434
      Using this site you can find another AASP in your region. If you do have a written conversation from Apple about the issue I would take it along (print out).

5. Burhan Ahmed

Try to get a Lion DVD and reinstall using that. It wont fix your recovery partition but it will install LION on your Macbook

6. Burhan Ahmed

Seems like you have wiped your recovery partition. Because otherwise you would be booted to internet recovery.