How can I enlarge the upper bar of my iMac without changing the screen resolution?

Ray Vermey June 29, 2011

I have an iMac and in the highest resolution the uppermost bar (with finder etc.) becomes hard to read.

Never could find a way to enlarge it! So maybe you guys/galls know the answer?
Yes, if I lower my resolution then the bar has bigger font, but that is not what iI want.
Anybody knows how to do this?

Thanx a bunch!

Ray

There is a solution, but it would enlarge all text in the OS. It's a Terminal command. Go to your Applications folder, inside that is a Utilities folder, open that. Open Terminal in there and enter this command, AT YOUR RISK. It doesn't harm your system, but it can be scary if you do it wrong:
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.5
    This basically makes all text 150% size. Just type:
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1
    to return everything to normal. 1 is 100%.

One thing to note is that it won't take effect immediately. It will take effect on all apps launched AFTER the command issued. So restart Finder, by issuing this command:
    killall Finder
    , which will kill Finder and it will restart itself again. Check if you like the size and just adjust to your liking. Again, this enlarges all text on applications, which makes applications appear a bit larger. But the resolution will be the same, so if you watch a movie full-screen for example, it will still look great. This only applies to text.

You can also use this to go 0.8 for example, if you have a small resolution display and need a way to fit applications on it. The applications will appear 80% size.

Hope this helps.

The Menu Bar is part of the System, not part of Numbers. the
    only way I'm aware of to change the apparent size of the menu bar is to change
    the display resolution to a smaller set of numbers. there should be  a zoom control feature you can turn on. In the System Preferences go to the Universal Access preferences. Turn Zoom on