How can I enlarge movie subtitles to make them readable?

shelbi joseph August 3, 2010

I have a MKV movie with subtitles. Subtitle is too small, so that I can’t read.

Is there a way to extract subtitles from MKV file or to make it bigger? I found a programme MKV extract GUI, but somehow it doesn’t work for me. In my case it creates opci error. Don’t know what that means.

Any suggestions or help from my global friends will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

1. RealTimeTricks

I'm going to write something on subtitle very soon at my blog.

Hey Shelbi,

So did you figure it out? Please let us know how did you do it.

Aibek

• shelbi joseph

hey bro....sorry...I am still in the process of finding it.....will try the second option of jessica and of course will let you know.regards

thanks for follow up

• shelbi joseph

Could figure it out finally. I used subrip to get the subtitle file. Not perfect but it works. Check this link for the tutorial
          http://zuggy.wz.cz/guides/video.htm

thanks for your help

thanks for sharing the fix!

3. Jessica Cam W.

Did you try MKV Extract GUI with MKVtoolnix? They're supposed to be used together according to this thread. If that doesn't work, I think you have 2 options: *You could look up subtitles (after downloading them, putting them in the same folder as your MKV file and making sure they and your MKV have the same names with different extensions of course so VLC can play them), in which case I think VLC can let you increase/decrease the size of the subs OR *you can convert it to AVI and extract the subs with AVIsubdetector.

• shelbi joseph

Jess thanks for the suggestions. I tried MkV extract ......it loads and starts, but after sometime it shows an error: opci...do you have any idea what the hell is it? yes of course, if you have the srt file with the same name of the video file, one can modify. Unluckily all the subs i found are incomplete except the one which is muxed in the mkv file. I have n't tried AVIsubdetector as suggested by you....it's a news to me. Will try and let you know the result. Regards

4. shelbi joseph

Josh, I use VLC to watch it. It is part of the picture, but in MKV it is coded into layers eventhough it looks as it is pasted. The font size can be changed if you are converting into a dvd (not possible with idx + sub files). I tried extracting the subtitles file to get as srt, so that I can modify the the font size. But somehow the programme shows an error and the process does n't finish.

5. Josh Fox

Are they part of the picture or just coded into the file. If they can be turned off, it's not part of the picture and can be enlarged through settings. I haven't seen anything to change the font size in the subtitle file, only in settings.

What are you using to watch it with?

6. shelbi joseph

Josh, the subtitles are hard coded. Since it is mkv file one can extract the subtitles....since it comes in layers

7. Josh Fox

What are you using to watch it on? Some programs or devices have settings to change the size of subtitles, unless it's hard coded and made part of the picture.