How can I enable Aero on Windows 7 running in a virtual environment in Red Hat?

HLJonnalagadda September 25, 2012

Here’s something I cannot seem to be able to do. At work, I use Red Hat Linux and Win 7 installed as a VM using the Virtual Machine Manager that comes with Red Hat. Now within Windows 7, I cannot set Aero. This is not that big of a deal, but I want to know if it can be done as it is running inside a VM.

1. Meh

Try Virtual Box or VMware, VMware last I checked supported D3D.

2. Jacob

You will have to install guest additions.These are basically drivers which are compatible with your VIrtual OS.

• HLJonnalagadda

I am not using VirtualBox as the VM Manager and so am not bale to do so. Thanks for the info anyway!

3. Richard Carpenter

This is one reason I like using VirtualBox, not only can it do it, but it is a easy and quick setup

Aero requires direct access to the hardware drivers in order for Aero to work. This cannot be accomplished in most VMs (they don't pass things directly to the host machine's drivers).

• HLJonnalagadda

Thanks. Thought this was the case!