How can I embed Vimeo videos in my WordPress.com blog?

Lane Copley March 6, 2010

WordPress is pretty good, but it doesn’t display an embedded video from Vimeo, no matter what I try. I have searched Google extensively for this, and tried each result in turn, always without success.

Has anyone successfully done this? I have been using LiveWriter to manage my blog, but I’m not so enamored of it I must continue.

1. Turmoil1020

just copy the video link location and paste it on a line of its own.if its blue and linked just highlight it and click the unlink tab on the editor and poof it is there

2. Bakari

I use Vodpod.com. You upload to their site, then connect/embed video to wordpress site.

3. Private Lessons

Great Work! Thanks!

4. Ileane

Hi, here are the instructions from WordPress.com for inserting Vimeo videos into a post
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/videos/vimeo/

If you still can't do it, you need to post to the WordPress.com forums (include your blog url) and one of the moderators will look at your blog. Here is an example of a recent forum thread on the topic
    http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/embedding-vimeo-videos?replies=18#post-409522

thank you!

5. linuxguy

Yes, I've been trying to accomplish the same. In a few words, you can use the same code as for the wordpress.com hosted site, however, if you host your own site (i.e. not on wordpress's server), you'll need to install a video plugin (I use viper's quick tags). Please visit my site for more details and a link to his site.

6. ├Žnon1mus

I guess you're not really used to using the HTML editor? Try logging into WordPress, compose a new post and select the HTML editor instead of the Rich Text editor and paste the embed code from Vimeo.

Tried it...no dice.

Thanks for the help; I must have some other setting that is interfering. Can't think of what it could be, though.

7. Peltier C

Thanks. I tried that in Live Writer and that didn't work. Did you mean to use the WordPress editor? I tried that also, without success.

Try following

Go to the WordPress editor. Then go to your profile and put a check mark
      under the very first field that says 'Disable the visual editor when
      writing'.

After that go to the article where you want to add the video and try
      adding it again.

Aibek

Nope, that didn't work either.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but your method does not seem to work for me.

Thanks anyway.

My last suggestion would be try a WordPress plugin for that.

Check out, Viper's Video Quicktags

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/vipers-video-quicktags/

Aibek

• Peltier C

That's for the wordpress.org stuff. not poor folk like me :(

It works both on WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress blogs.

• Peltier C

Really? That is not obvious to me, and I have read the documentation which only mentions .org installations.

Perhaps this is a feature of one of the upgrades available?

The instructions that you see for .org installations should be the same for your WordPress blog as well.

If you want, I can look into it. But for that you would need to create a temporary WordPress account for me (email: aibek[at]makeuseof[dot].com) with admin rights.

• Peltier C

Viper's installation instructions read :
          "Installing The Plugin

Extract all files from the ZIP file, making sure to keep the file structure intact, and then upload it to /wp-content/plugins/. This should result in multiple subfolders and files."

I don't have any idea where to find this upload feature (I promise you I have looked carefully). I think it may be for the paying customers.

Hi Peltier

Do you have a hosting account, a place where you host your blog? Ask the
          support tem to give you and FTP access to your account. They should give
          you a username, password and the server address. Next, download a
          program called Filezilla and install it on your computer.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Once FileZilla is installed you can use the your FTP details to connect
          to your server and locate that /wp-content/plugins folder.

Aibek

• Peltier C

Well, that's the problem. I'm a "free" user, meaning it's hosted on WordPress.com itself.

This is probably why this is not available to me, like some other widgets that would be nice.

I enjoy taking a little time to write about stuff I like, but I don't see any need to pay for hosting, since I don't get much for it.

Hi Peter

OK, I see it now. I never kept a WordPress hosted blog so I can't help
          here. If it would a self hosted WordPress site I could be more helpful.

Aibek

• Peltier C

I _do_ appreciate the effort. Thank you.

On the Vimeo, select the embed code and copy it, then return to your wordpress blog and switch to html editing then copy the code, but don't switch back to the wysiwyg editor otherwise it will strip out some code.