How can I make emails I send to trash in GMail be gone immediatelly?
Question by Deb /

I do not want my GMail sitting in the trash folder for 30 days. When I trash it, I want it gone. I have personal reasons for this, but it is important. How can I get rid of them immediately?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged .
Awesome Internet (and Tips)
Awesome Internet (and Tips)
Stay Invisible Online
Stay Invisible Online
Deep Web Links & Tips
Deep Web Links & Tips
Web Security & Privacy
Web Security & Privacy
Music Apps & Sites
Music Apps & Sites

• ocbizlaw

You can't do this in the gmail web interface (I know, it's stupid).  If you are using a mail app. (I use apple mail) you can set a rule that once something goes into the spam or trash folder it is immediately deleted.  At that point, you don't care if it sits on the gmail server for 30 days then gets deleted because you never see it in your email app.

Why Google doesn't allow you to automate this in gmail itself is a mystery but Google is run by liberal Democrats which means they assume that we are all to stupid to be trusted to delete our own mail automatically.

• Somuchforu

I am a democrat and I hate this feature too. I don't know where it is on the democrat agenda that says "American public is stupid so lets prevent mail being deleted" haha. Wow.

The suggestion recommended by Mulder is the only way todo this, I think. There is no way to automate this without waiting for 30 days unless you use a desktop email cleint like Microsoft's Outlook or Mozilla's Thunderbird. i use Thunderbirs and set my Gmail to forever delete all emails as soon as they are downloaded to my PC (which happens automatically every time I check for the new email).

• Mulder

All you have to do is select the Trash folder, select all the emails and click Delete Forever, or just click Empty Trash now (they do the same thing).